Sunday, February 22, 2009

Tragic Hero



If I were a tragic hero, my tragic flaw would probably be my lack of patience. I can't roll cookie dough. I can't knit a scarf. And I certainly can't stand when people don't pull up to the front gas pump.

Notice the big rig on the right side of the picture stopping me from going around this woman, and notice the lack of a car at the front pump. I was pinned in; I had nowhere to go. And if you know Costco gas stations, you know I was pinned in from the rear as well.

With my forced practice in patience, I decided to take this picture.

Now, in the woman's defense, she stopped her car while the car in front of her was still pulling out. If this woman had waited another five seconds, she could have pulled forward, but maybe this woman was in a hurry. Under those circumstances, I would be more understanding. I'll take this as a learning moment; I will be a more-patient person for enduring this, at the time, egregious violation of common sense and courtesy.

Improving myself should not be the only goal though, should it? Shouldn't society also be looking to improve? Should I not ask this women, who may NOT have been in a hurry, please to pull up to the next pump, so that I may also utilize my time wisely? I didn't yell at her, but my passenger riding shotgun certainly got an earful. I should just learn to be more patient. If I were more patient, events like this wouldn't be blog-worthy.

But again, I'm a tragic hero waiting for the knife in my back, so you'll have to wade your way through my immature blog posts.

I'm Oedipus. I'm Hamlet. I'm Macbeth. I'm me.

No comments:

Post a Comment