Monday, March 16, 2009

Ain’t No Love in the Hood For BSB?






















At a recent gathering with some friends, the issue of the Backstreet Boys came up. Everyone in the room had a chuckle regarding my fondness for Kevin, Brian, AJ, Howie, and Nick. I never thought their music was “good”—and I still don’t—but there is something inherently charming about BSB and other boy bands from that era.

Fending off attacks from all sides, my only defense for my Backstreet Boys was that “they possess a certain nostalgic quality.” This did not convince them. Perhaps the trite and saccharine lyrics are too terrible for this crowd of musicians, but maybe now, beyond the pressures of the social situation, I can clearly elucidate what I mean by “nostalgically charming.”

Total Request Live with Carson Daly was the catalyst. The battle for the Number 1 spot was always a nail-biter between BSB and N’Sync. I wont lie: I watched the show a few times a week to see the music videos and be “up” on the news. But why?

The girls my age, the girls with whom I associated, were all very infatuated with BSB and the like. Thus, in order to converse about similar topics and appear empathetic, learning about boy bands was a requirement. I remember talking with my high-school crush about which BSB member she found most sexy vocally and which she found most sexy sexually. These boy bands, these black holes for masculinity, provided me and my male peers with an “in,” a way in which to bond with these unapproachable girls.

It didn’t stop with TRL. One had the buy the albums too. Those poor songs that didn’t quite become singles were still loved by our girl friends. We had to know about “Spanish Eyes” and “10,000 Promises” too; we could not be posers. To be with our girl friends, we needed to be genuine and earnest. Thus, albums, music videos, and knowledge were all required to sit at this particular table.

Maybe Backstreet isn’t appropriate anymore, but we all have our personal “BSB” when relating to the opposite sex. To all the men reading this: you can’t honestly tell me that in the realm of love, BSB is any less worthy than art or politics when it comes to finding common ground with the object of your affection. It is all about creating opportunities to show her how much you care about her and her interests.

I don’t consider “Everybody” the greatest American song, but when it comes on the radio or in my shuffle, I laugh a little. I’m closer to my 10-year high-school reunion than I am to my high-school graduation. I’ll take a melody of nostalgia any time I can, Backstreet Boys or otherwise. I’m okay with the guy at the stop light next to me who gives me the slant eye. Backstreet’s Back, and I’m alright with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment