Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Two Orange Starbursts

I knew it was going to be a great day; I ate candy for breakfast. Halloween candy in November is fabulous when you're a child: the lingering elation of the holiday sustaining you just long enough to reach Thanksgiving. But when you're an adult, Halloween candy is dangerous. Those small, "Fun Size" portions call to you like a seductive whisper on a cold night.

Hey. Come eat me. I won't make you fat. Your teeth can survive a tiny coating of corn syrup. What's one tiny bag of Skittles? or an inch of Twix?

Even in the face of that danger, though, I tore into this Halloween left-over Starburst pea-pod, and, even with the permutation odds against me, I found two orange squares coquettishly staring back at me. Orange is the best flavor of candy, isn't it? The exoticism of citrus, and the stimulation of its vibrant hue. Ah, yes. Orange really is a treat for the senses.

I knew it was going to be a great day. Both fate and deliciousness were on my side.



1 comment:

  1. I can't eat candy for breakfast except for Snickers. I could eat Snicker's bars all freakin day and the fun size is never enough. There's nothing fun about eating a snickers and expecting there to be at least twice as much as you get.

    ReplyDelete