Wednesday, September 9, 2009

09.09.09

I felt left out of the celebration. Amid the spectacle of this triple 9 date, I was painfully ordinary. I didn't do anything "nine-oriented."

I read a news story about couples to be married at the 99¢ Store with nine guests in attendance. Tim Burton released a movie today entitled "9." And even Sportscenter on ESPN did a "Top 9 Best Plays by Players Wearing the Number 9." The Beatles also understand the magnitude of this date. Not only did the "Beatles: Rock Band" release, but a number of remastered albums hit store shelves today.

Desperately trying to participate in this non-holiday, I thought about going to restaurant and ordering a meal for $9.99 and tipping $9.99, but frugality overtook me. I thought about running nine miles, but I was too tired from work.

I felt a little sad, almost like it was unpatriotic not to appreciate this date. But I guess today is just a regular Wednesday. If people love 09.09.09, what will they do next year on October 10th? Or how about November 11th in two years? Is today really that special? Maybe I'm contributing to the problem by blogging about it, or maybe I'm just jealous I didn't have a special 09.09.09 shirt like one of my students.

Dear reader, how did you celebrate today?

No comments:

Post a Comment