Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Odd Couple: Toilets and Mirrors


















In a public restroom over the weekend, I noticed this toilet-level mirror reflecting back my full-body profile of me urinating.

Why have this four-foot mirror in the restroom? The typical vanity mirror was intact, so for what was this extra mirror?

Finishing up my "business," I started feeling like one of those criminals in the interrogation rooms at police stations. I felt like a gruff David Caruso was watching me through a one-way mirror. I felt like there was an extra person in the room watching me, scrutinizing my every action.

I'll admit that I was more concerned about my posture while using the toilet than my actual aim. Maybe that is why the bathroom floor was so yellowishly disgusting. Again, I'll admit I did nothing to help the situation.

It's like when you go to your friend's house, and the entire wall behind the toilet is one giant mirror. If you're a guy, it's hard to know where to look while you use the bathroom. You feel weird watching your genital area from a third-person perspective, but it's also weird to stare into your own eyes while you're peeing.

It seems obvious that mirrors in bathrooms need to be eye-level and not reflect anything below the bellybutton. Too much is at stake to place reflective surfaces haphazardly in such a sensitive location.

No comments:

Post a Comment