Saturday, December 5, 2009

Crafts, Cats, and Dogs


















Today was the Humane Society, Silicon Valley's Animal Arts Craft Faire. Vendors sold adorable animal-related arts and crafts. There were home-made dog treats, hand-made chew toys, and decadent cat trees. There was live music, a food court, and activities for children.






And in case the humans wanted to shop unencumbered, there was a "Dog Valet" who would walk your dog while you shopped. That's my dog Pancake on the left with valet Judy.







The Humane Society moved to a new location in April, and the facility is amazing. Despite it being an animal shelter, everything looked immaculate. The dogs had giant cots covered with blankets, and each kennel was considerately filled with two dogs so they could run and play. The cats didn't have cages, but "condos" where mini-sofas and climbing trees faced large windows flooding the apartment with nap-able sunlight. There was even a special section for rabbit adoption.












The walls were covered with paintings and photographs of adopted pets' success stories that found new homes. The fountain at the main entrance captured the free spirit of a dog jumping into a lake with a cautious cat observing from above.

And while the Humane Society's new facility is simply amazing, the stars of show were the animals up for adoption. Going to an event like this, I mustered all my fortitude to not return with another dog. But when I got there, I saw so many animals that I wanted to take home. One Chihuahua mix in particular, Chispita, captured my heart. I watched her through the window, her brown ears half-folded over her apple-shaped head. She was calm despite the gangs of people traipsing past her. She was older, almost 10 years old, and I imagined her being passed-up for the younger, more-spry dogs.


But alas, I returned home with only one dog, my constant companion Pancake. I found myself whispering to him. I wouldn't want another dog so badly if you weren't such a great dog.

He curled up on my lap, and we watched tv together.

Please visit the Humane Society's webpage. Maybe you can adopt Chispita; she's a dear.

1 comment: