Friday, April 10, 2009

T Minus 33 Hours

I have a big test coming up Saturday morning. April 11th has been circled on my calendar since Thanksgiving. I have been studying empirical facts for the test, but I believe, hopefully not incorrectly, that my passing this test is predicated on my writing skills rather than my knowledge. Thus, in preparation, I'm trying to stay calm rather than trying to know every date and every theory.

It would be a gross hyperbole to say this is the most important test of my life. I've taken lots of tests that all amounted to something important.

Looking back on SATs and AP tests, GREs and finals, I think my biggest weakness is my mental toughness. I let the situation get the best of me. The negative result, the failing, hangs over my head like the Sword of Damocles. I imagine that sinking feeling in your chest when you realize you've failed. You gave it your best shot, and, at the time, it wasn't enough. It's hard not to take failure personally.

It might be a gross hyperbole to say this is the most important test of my life. But it would be an equally gross litotes to say this Saturday is just another day. This test is a gateway to so many things. I want to pass this test. So, in the scope of my life, this test is certainly the most important test this week and is probably the most important test I'll take this calendar year. But I'm sure there will be other important tests in the future to scare me.

This blog post has calmed me down a bit. Just thinking "out loud" is helping me get some perspective. But just in case mind mind wanders down the path of insecurity in the next 33 hours, I ask you, dear reader, for a favor. Please send me positive vibes Saturday morning. I'm nervous. And I want to pass.

1 comment:

  1. Positive Vibes - a bit early but I figure you can bank them for later use. By the way, I dug the wheelman post. Definitely an interesting take on an excuse to post our guady stats.

    ReplyDelete