Wednesday, March 10, 2010

$10, Large Round Table Pizza

I thought I would build up to this moment. But instead, the feelings, the all-too familiar feelings, have come rushing back. I couldn't wait any longer than simply say after years apart, I still love the "last honest pizza."

I ended things four years ago. I admit it. The price point was simply too high. $30 for an XL pizza was too much for the meek college student. I abandoned dignity for cheapness, substance for flash, Round Table for Costco.

But with the promotion of $10, one-topping pizzas, I come grovelling back to you.

You are as wonderful as I remember. Your darkened crust is as brittle as a saltine cracker. Your melted cheeses flow over the edges of my slice like water over the lip of Niagara.

You puffed your chest out, bearing the pepperoni like young love's corsage on prom night. The edges of each salty circle curled upward, slightly browned along the rim. Tiny, pepperoni bowls filled with an oily, orange/yellow elixir.

I ate you once when I came home from work. I ate you again before bed. And, my dear, if you'll have me, I'll eat you again tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment