Monday, March 1, 2010

Women's Buttons on the Left?




















I was in the Women's department at Nordstrom's the other day, shopping with an old friend from college.  I decided to accompany her largely because she is pretty, and being around a pretty girl, even if she is just a friend, is still better than sitting at home watching rerun Olympic Curling.  Plus I had a coupon for a free Auntie Anne's Pretzel. 

While I was licking buttery cinnamon sugar from my lips, she rifled through the racks with deep focus.  Her mouth was slightly agape as if she was hypnotized, and her eyes darted back and forth along the metal rods of hanging clothing as if performing long division in her head.  All the while, she was whispering things to herself; I'd catch bits like "I have something like that already," or "That's the worst thing I've ever seen," or "Where the crap are the twos?" 

Having finished my pretzel, and wanting to kill some time, I decided to try on a stylish overcoat.  The orange lining caught my eye.  It looked like it might fit me, and I checked the tag in the collar: GIRLS XL.  

It actually fit pretty well.  The seams fell in all the right places, and I filled out the bust very nicely.  But when I tried to button the coat, I was confused.  The buttons were reversed!  Looking down at the open front, the buttons were on the left side, not the right.  My mannish fingers struggled with the oversized buttons.  I fumbled as I tried to invert my right left coordination.  It was a surreal yet familiar feeling...like brushing your teeth with your left hand. 

"Why are the buttons on the wrong side of this coat?"
"All woman's clothes have the buttons on that side."
"Why?"
"So when we're face to face, and you're taking me out of my top, you won't have any trouble since the buttons will be on the correct side for your mannish tendencies."

I knew she was joking, but it was one of the sexiest moments of my life. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure you meant sexiest, not sexist, but yeah that's a good line. Sounds like she's got game. Haha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I... would have never thought of that. Clever girl, that one.

    ReplyDelete