Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patrick's Uniform

I feel bad for my students because they have school uniforms. Especially on days like today: St. Patrick's day.

The students and their uniforms looked more drab and lifeless than ever. Their navy pants were faded and un-festive from repeat washings. The white polos were tinged gray around the collars from sweat. School policy censored the shamrock shirts and emerald earrings.

But when I tried to voice this dismay to my older students, one cheerfully replied, "Don't worry, I got my green in." He revealed a green sock, secretly grinning at me from beneath his frayed pant leg. I smiled.

I guess if you really want it, the leprechaun finds his way in.

Happy St. Patrick's Day.



1 comment:

  1. I was genuinely scared for a second he was gonna pull out his boxers for you.

    ReplyDelete