Sunday, March 14, 2010

Made in the Shade
















I saw this kid riding a flatbed shopping cart, and I actually felt jealous. Gone are the days where someone would push the cart with me riding along. Sure, I can coerce my brother to push me for a little while, but self-consciousness rears its head after a minute or so. And if I'm lucky enough for a push, the weight of my adult body causes the cart to fishtail inelegantly out of control.

Going solo, like I'm sure many of you secretly do, I push-start myself down the lanes of the parking lot, and when I have enough speed, I jump on the back of my wheeled bobsled and glide. Though just for a few seconds, the ride is perfection.

Like always though, the momentum decreases, and the cart starts drifting towards the bumpers of the parked cars. We are forced to put our feet down and step back into reality.

Simple things like that are hard to come by: fun with no strings attached. Like going into Toys 'R Us and not worrying about paying the rent. Like buying ice cream and not worrying about getting fat. Like playing a video game until 5 am and not worrying about work the next day.





No comments:

Post a Comment