Saturday, June 13, 2009

Blinded by Thorns





The once red rose had turned to faithless brown
and bowed its head to mourn the passing hues.
The dying petals cackled as I burned
the flower's corpse. And then I left for home.

Along the journey of my life, I woke
to find myself confused and lost inside
the darkened wood. Upon the stubborn walk,
I strayed off course without a rose to guide.

But then a blinded clown approached and claimed,
"I'll be your guide," and smiled through yellowed teeth.
His rainbow colored clothing loosely draped
his starving frame—he was as lost as me.

The sightless led the lost while telling jokes.
I laughed along, and I could only hope.


~~~

PS:
I happened upon the Punxecret blog about a week ago, and while the teenage angst or "emo" levels are rather elevated, I have become a religious reader of this particular blog. There is something pure about the posters' levels of loneliness and sadness.

This blog is unique in that the username and password are made public: anyone can login anonymously and post their thoughts or feelings. Because all the posts are by "punxecret," there are no means to individuate one post from another. The posts all blend together into one globule of emotional tension.

The Punxecret posts may not be the most refined, but they have unfiltered emotional charge. I enjoy absorbing that charge and discharging it into my own poetry, hopefully in keeping with the poster's original intent.

No comments:

Post a Comment