Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Zany Marketing versus Insane Advertising

I eat cereal for breakfast every morning. And I'm not monogamous to one particular cereal; I'm promiscuous. I'll hook up with Cookie Crisp one night, and then buy lunch for Honey Nut Chex the next afternoon.

Because of my casual dating philosophy, at least when it comes to cereal, I know a thing or two about promotions. The toys wrapped in those sticky plastic bags. The tokens one needs to collect to get a shirt. The childish mazes on the backs of boxes.

But the most interesting promotions are the ones that actually change the cereal itself; you know, like when they add a new color Crunchberry or when the shape of Honeycomb changes from octagonal to rectangular. A change in the beloved product is a risk, but if done correctly, the marketing effects are worth it.

But today I saw the weirdest change in cereal content. Maybe I'm just getting older, or maybe my tolerance has diminished, but this promotion freaked me out:




















How in the world do hang gliders relate to Apple Jacks? And why would the executives at Kellogg's think it a good idea to make a triangle-shaped Apple Jack? I'm so confused. I was slightly deterred from Apple Jacks when they introduced that strange apple mascot (shown in the picture) who looks like he's on some illicit drugs, but blue hang gliders in my dear sweet Apply Jacks? That's crossing a line from creatively zany to pathetically insane.

While in the supermarket, I took some pictures of other cereals that I believe have successfully changed their content in some zany yet logical way.




At least Cocoa Puffs is mixing it up by adding complimentary flavors to their cereal. Chocolate and Vanilla puffs? That's thinking! I'm interested to see if it tastes like an ice cream sundae. A+ for piquing my interest in the flavor.










Lucky Charms is always adding new marshmallow shapes. And frankly, I get excited to see the new charms. I always imagine telling my son or daughter about how "when I was a kid, it just blew my mind when they added the Red Balloon."








Look at that crazy Rabbit on that crazy box art! Spinning the new swirl Trix on his finger like a Harlem Globetrotter. Genius. I bought this cereal just to stare at the "radicalness."








You see, Apple Jacks Gliders! It is possible to create logical yet zany cereal promotions. Out of all the cereals of which I posted pictures, you, my dear Apple Jacks, are probably the most delicious. There's no need to sell out with Gliders. What's next? Adding the word "Xtreme" in front of your title? Have some pride. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment