Friday, June 12, 2009

Pathetic Fallacy

Pathetic Fallacy: the tendency of poets and painters to imbue the natural world with human feelings.


I went out mostly to buy more frozen corn, but I also planned on getting some take-out dinner from L&L. But while meandering through the aisles at one of the stores, I came across this sight:
















I didn't rearrange the stuffed animal pens; this lonely but very cute puppy was waiting for me. I looked around trying to find the other members of his litter, the other toys of the same model, but this forgotten pup was the last of his kind, the unwanted runt.

I reached into the cage and picked him up. Some stuffed animals look softer or more cuddly than they really are, but this little fellow was a treat for the eyes and the fingers. His fur felt like a mixing of silk and cotton: smooth yet fluffy.

As I do with all stuffed animals I consider purchasing, I looked for a company-given name on the tag. I always find it interesting what the creators of the stuffed animals name their products. But sadly, the only thing on this poor, isolated pooch's tag was "WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD."

That sealed the deal. I adopted the loner, and took him home with me. To balance my budget, I had to eat soup from a can and Spam instead of chicken katsu and mac salad, but sometimes, doggies just need to be rescued.

Maybe I fell for the market ploy of the toy company—the fur and eyes and ears were made specifically to attract the gullible customer. Or maybe I'm a victim of pathetic fallacy—I saw some of myself in the marooned canine. Whatever the reason, I have a new dog.

It might be ridiculous to you, dear reader, that I would forgo a meal and buy a toy because it looked sad. And it might be equally ridiculous that I felt glad (I wouldn't exaggerate by saying ecstatic) to place little Chubby on my headboard and introduce him to Charlie, Chip 'n Dale, and Domo. But you know what I say? Happiness that costs a few bucks, regardless of the source, is worth it.
















Works Cited:
"Pathetic Fallacy." The New Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics. 1993.

No comments:

Post a Comment