Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Bartering to Feel Young Again















The rainy season has brought more than grayness to my life; it has brought youth.

Forced inside the cafeteria by the misty January afternoons, teachers and students from all grades have no choice but to shed the hierarchy and eat in close quarters. Some teachers grumble, but I don't mind the occasional student screaming.

This new seating arrangement has reminded me of a very important part of being young: food bartering. It started with one boy looking longingly at my ziplock of kettle corn. Though the corn tasted good, I started feeling guilty as I cracked the sugary kernels in my mouth. So I offered him some, and he was grateful.

The next day, the same thing happened, only this time, out of his mature sense of equality and fairness, he offered me a vanilla Oreo in return. This wasn't so much of an economic exchange as it was a respectful food handshake between gentlemen.

The system grew. More kids joined in. Ten potato chips for a Chip Ahoy? That's too many. How about six? Okay, eight it is.

So, after several days of diplomatic practice, three-way trades are commonplace: I gave some veggie straws to David, who gave half a granola bar to Mark, who then gave me three fruit snacks.

The bartering probably isn't the most ethical and some might see it as taking advantage of the youth, but it's all in good nature. There is an intellectual excitement and mutual respect in our system. I assure you, dear reader, I am generous with my side of the offers. And, most importantly, we are all happy.

Once the rains stop, I'll go back to my secluded, adults-only lunchtime, slowly eating food from my own home. But for now, it's fun to feel young again. As an adult, how often do you really get to barter for and earn your food?

1 comment:

  1. I don't see anything unethical, it seems like a fair trade to me! Bartering is fun, and I think the fact that we stop considering bartering a valid form of payment is a shame. I'm always open to non-cash payment if the trade is good. BTW, veggie straws, granola bars, and fruit snacks??? These are some healthy kids man. Haha... so how long have you been eating with the kids? I would assume that would make you one of the cooler teachers if you're bartering food with everybody!

    ReplyDelete