Thursday, January 21, 2010

Dixinormis1983

So, you want to help but don’t have a way to get one of our shirts or make a monetary donation? Not to worry, we’ve got you covered with the easiest possible way to be a hero – playing Halo!

We are rallying our fan community to show their support by playing Halo 3 or ODST online Wednesday or Thursday while wearing a special emblem signifying your commitment to the cause. For every thousand heroes that participate, we will make a $100 donation on behalf of Bungie and our fan community to the Red Cross for Haiti relief efforts, up to a maximum of $77,000. All you have to do is don a special emblem and play a game online and know that you’ve done a small part to help those in need. www.bungie.com

Haiti is everywhere, as it should be.

Bungie, the company behind Halo, had a technologically aware fundraiser for Haiti. Play Halo over the Internet, wearing a special in-game, heart icon, and Bungie will donate money. The icon is easy to equip and is free assuming the person already has the Halo game and online service.

So I turned on my Halo ODST expecting to see hearts galore.



















I began politely to remind other non-heart players about the drive. I expected my words to be met with changes to the heart icon, but instead, Dixinormis1983 responded with, "Those niggers live on a fault line. That's their own fucking fault. Why would I change my icon for those fag niggers? It's like the Katrina shit. I wasn't going to help those welfare shits. I'm not changing my emblem because I don't want to help them." Dixinormis1983 even said that he changed his icon to look like a KKK member.

I expect online slurs and name calling. But this...?

I tried to plead my case, commenting that the very act of being on an online game was an exorbitant luxury in the scope of world affairs. That Haiti is in utter ruin the likes he would probably never know. But he called me a "hippie asshole." How could something so universally awful be seen as comeuppance?

Doesn't he understand that the world is not equal? Life in other places, even within our own borders, even within our own cities, is drastically striated. Doesn't he understand that people are not born onto flat ground? That some are born onto luxurious hilltops and others into squalid valleys with more than willpower and hard word separating them?

Dixinormis1983, even if you were joking, your words scalded me with heat that dissolved my trust in generosity and good taste. I'm sure you're a good man, but your comments have repercussions. I've written your words, so that you may take responsibility for them. Dixinormis1983, if ever you read this, please contact me. As mature men, I hope we can share words about honor, generosity, and hope. I have faith in you, even if you don't have faith in others.

My love to Haiti. Be strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment