Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Boys' Day/Cinco de Mayo

I guess it was my fate to be happy today—it's Boys' Day. Honestly, that didn't really affect the development of my Tuesday. No one gave me gifts. No one gave me an unexpected hug. Even my Japanese friends whom I spent time with today didn't acknowledge this national holiday. I pulled out my 1-foot, blue carp out of the closet and waved it around for a bit. That made me feel happy. Not happy like I passed a test or won the lottery, but happy that I could, even for the briefest of moments, lose myself in very private contemplation. I guess that's all that really matters. It was my own tiny festival in my mind.

The bigger news here in America is that today is Cinco de Mayo. I never really understood this holiday. If one researches the historical context, it seems strange to celebrate one battle in an overall losing effort. But maybe I'm just being short sighted. If someone can explain to me the true pulse of the holiday, please do so. I want to learn. Too bad my Spanish class is on Mondays and Wednesdays. If I had class today, I probably would have asked my professor about Cinco de Mayo. I could always ask tomorrow when I see him, but by that time, I will have lost my interest in becoming more worldly and knowledgeable.

Holidays are strange. One national holiday had me sitting in my closet on a pile of dirty clothes. The other made me realize that I'm ignorant.

No comments:

Post a Comment