Friday, May 15, 2009

Neon Sprinkles

Going to an ice cream parlor is a one-of-a-kind experience. There is something empowering about the process of choosing one of seemingly infinite permutations of ice creams or frozen yogurts with toppings. A person makes several choices, and the person must consume those choices even if they taste bad.

There are many other times in modern life when a person is forced to make numerous choices, but the choices do not grant the same sense of empowerment as ice cream parlors. Coffee shops come to mind. To get a simple cup of coffee, there are numerous choices. For how ever many individuals there are, there are seemingly the same number of options for coffee or coffee-related drinks. But ordering a coffee drink does not empower a person in the same was as ice cream. Coffee is often functional—whether it be for a pick-me-up or a caffeine addiction. Coffee doesn't make one obese. The obesity factor is very important in the sense of empowerment.

Ice cream can cause obesity. Consciously going to an ice cream parlor is different than having a pint of B&J's behind the ice box. Going to the parlor is a conscious choice to flout the conscience and eat sugar and cream regardless of the extremely adverse health effects. A person asserts their independence over their inner voice, and the feelings of empowerment, however fleeting, ensue. And not only does a person eat the fattening ice cream, but the person confidently adds sugary accouterments.















Don't get me wrong: I love going to ice cream parlors. I love feeling empowered. And today, these neon sprinkles pictured above were the physical representation of my devotion to the ice cream parlor. I knew neon sprinkles existed; I have often seen them at Michael's and other stores, but I have never seen these shades of purple and pink at the parlor itself. I often see the rainbow sprinkles, brown sprinkles, and, occasionally, white sprinkles. But these electrifying colors were like discovering a new poem by your favorite poet: innocence with experience.

By having these unique colors at the parlor itself, the establishment seemed to acknowledge my excitement. The parlor seemed to say, "I understand you are making a sacrifice being here, and I will reward you with the most outlandish and wonderful toppings you can imagine." I have to admit I felt a bit like Charlie in the Factory.

With all the other complexities in my life, it was simple and charming to see these sprinkles. I often guiltily exercise after I eat ice cream, but today, the neon purple and pink gave me a lasting high that still has yet to send me crashing down to my running shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment