Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Its allright, is'nt it?
































I like collecting pictures of spelling/punctuation mistakes; these are just a few from my treasure trove. Now, one might view this act as elitist mockery of a third party, but I will be the first to say that I commit typos and grammar infractions all the time. Just last week, I was reviewing some of my previous posts, and I found agreement errors and homophone misuses. Everyone is allowed mistakes.

I think my frustration arises when the errors are not corrected when the respective party is aware of the crime. I'm not going to carp on every error, just the ones that have longevity.

For each of their respective purposes, these signs and posting have been/were up for very long periods of time. I mean the "comming soon" sign was up for months! The "classey lady" is a permanent storefront marquee in the Great Mall—granted the patrons of this mall aren't Santana Row people, but they still deserve correct spelling. And the "availabel" flier has been haunting my mail room for a few weeks. I find it highly unlikely that in weeks or months, the appropriate parties would not have discovered their typos. I can hear them apathetically say, "It's too late to change it now." And that apathy is fury inspiring.

Let's fix our errors when we see them. And let's help our fellow writers by constructively pointing out these errors. These mistakes hurt our credibility, and, in turn, detrimentally affect our communication.

Although I'm not really sure how to help these people. Even if I were cordial, I imagine the bag boy at Zanotto's punching me in the brain when I approach him and say, "Excuse me, but the word 'maximum' has three M's."

No comments:

Post a Comment